We have a boatload of Polycom CX600 phones for our Lync deployment and recently came across one device that would not connect up to the network. In doing so, I tried to pull the log files off the device, but as you have probably found, there is no web management gui for the phones at all. Additionally, if you have figured out how to pull the files off the phone, you are probably wondering how you analyze the files as the log files are in a weird format.
Find the IP address of the phone
Press the middle button on the phone, select System Information, and you should see the IP address.
Navigate to ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the x's is the IP address of the phone
Copy the clg* files from the phone over to your desktop
Execute the following command to covert the clg file to text
readlog.exe "system.clg1" "system.txt"
Open up the text file in notepad
Here you can see some info about the phone trying to pull the certificate from the lync provisioning service.
That should do it! The log file contains a lot of debugging information that Polycom can use to figure out what is going on, or every once in awhile you will luck out and see if the phone is having a tough time finding the certificate server, time server, etc.
I noticed today that a large shipment of Polycom phones we were going to deploy were using the RTM version of Lync Phone Edition and were outdated compared to Microsoft's latest version. That being said, here is a guide on how to update the firmware for your phones.
At the time of this writing, it appears there are only a few different manufacturers that distribute the Microsoft Lync Phone Edition phones. For reference, here are the Microsoft URLs for each of those phone types:
Microsoft Lync Phone Edition for Aastra 6721ip and Aastra 6725ip
Double click on the downloaded file (UCUpdates.exe), and run through the wizard.
Select your language:
Accept the EULA
On this step, extract the files to a folder you can recognize. All firmware downloads are called UCUpdates.exe and ucupdates.cab, so I highly recommend you sort out each firmware to a corresponding folder.
Click the "Click this link to open folder in Windows Explorer." and verify you see the ucupdates.cab file.
Here we see the ucupdates.cab file.
Copy the ucupdates.cab file over to your Lync Front End Server if you didn't in the first step.
Execute the following powershell command (where the WebServer is the Front End Pool or Front End Server in a standalone instance):
Note: I added the optional -Verbose parameter to show the output of what the PowerShell command is doing behind the scenes. Some people have mentioned this step taking awhile to complete, this will at least give you some comfort if things are moving forward or not.
Once the command has completed successfully, head over to the Lync Server Control Panel (LSCP) (Web GUI), and navigate to Clients > Device Update. Here you should see the firmware for your device and you should notice that the version shows up under the "Pending Version" column. This means that the firmware will NOT be pushed until we manually approve it.
Now we will push out the firmware to one device to ensure the firmware actually works. Inside of the Lync Server Control Panel, click on the Test Device tab.
Click the New... button and then select Global test device
For Device Name, type in something like Polycom CX600 to identify what will be pushed to it, and then enter in the MAC address of the phone in the Unique identifier field.
Note: if you use the MAC address as the Unique identifier, make sure you leave out any special characters, it should be only the hex address.
Here is a screenshot below of my test device:
At this point, all you need to do is wait until the phone reboots and applies the update automatically (you don't need to approve the firmware or anything like that, it just starts to deploy to the test device).
If you want to check what is going on, if you login to your front end server and navigate to C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\<randomID>, you can see the process of the phone trying to pull the update files and then reconnecting with the updates. In my case, I could see the phone boot, pull the new firmware files, and then reboot and make new requests with the latest version in the headers.
The verbose command should output all information needed to figure out where things are going wrong. In my case, I had an issue with the phone being able to pull-down a certificate (The verbose command revealed the following: "Could not download certificate chain from web service."). After restarting IIS, I was able to authenticate via the phone to Lync.
Just as an FYI, once you see Result: Success, you will be able to login to the phone. Prior to seeing that, I was seeing a Result: Failed when the phone could not connect.