Earlier this week I decided to update NetFlow and came across some weird stuff. I updated NetFlow first, all went all. Updated NPM to 10.4 and all heck broke loose. The following messaged started to popup when going to the Netflow tab of SolarWinds:
“Error: NetFlowService inaccessible. Verify that service is ‘Started’. » More Information”
I had tried restarting the SolarWinds Netflow service, rebooting the whole machine, running the repair option of Netflow via the installer, and creating a whole new database; neither of which prevailed.
Finally I opened up a ticket with SolarWinds and it turned out to be database connectivity issues. After troubleshooting with a tech for a few hours, eventually I had this escalated to the dev. team. Turns out that the database configuration file has issues reading “s and they have you replace the passwords with ‘s.
So the fix:
- Open c:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion
- Edit the SWNetPerfMon.db file using Notepad
- Replace all double quotes (“) with single quotes (‘) around your passwords.
- Restart all Solarwinds services using the Orion Service Manager.
Wait a few minutes and you should now start to see the fancy NetFlow charts in SolarWinds 🙂